Garlic and Cheese Bread is the quickest, easiest, and tastiest side dish that accompanies almost any dinner. It is so good; you can be assured that not a crumb will remain.
I like simple sides that don’t require a lot of brain power to put together. Often, by the time I have the main dish in the oven, I don’t feel like starting two more complicated recipes to complete the meal.
Luckily, I’ve become a bit of a collector of easy side dishes. That way I can share them with you, and we can all avoid mid-cooking burnout. Roasted asparagus or butternut squash are always at the top of the list, depending on the season. And Air Fryer Baked Potatoes are another tried-and-true, effortless favorite.
Most of the time, though, I make this garlic cheese bread. It seriously goes with just about everything. Even the pickiest eaters will ask for another slice (or two, or three). It’s a crowd-pleasing side that can be scaled up or down. Plus, it doesn’t take much effort and is so delicious you probably won’t have any leftovers to store.
Why this recipe works
- Fresh garlic cloves instead of garlic powder or pre-chopped garlic load this recipe with flavor.
- Using Italian seasoning saves you having to remove more than 5 spices from your cabinet, keeping this recipe as simple as possible.
- To customize the recipe, you can easily omit the mozzarella or substitute it with another blend of cheeses.
- It only takes 5 minutes of prep time for this cheesy garlic bread, so you can focus on the main course or keep dinner easy during the week.
What you will need
- Italian bread – I use a whole loaf of Italian bread, but you can easily halve the loaf or use multiple loaves. Alternatively, you can use any type of crispbread you like. French bread and ciabatta are delicious slathered in garlic, butter and cheese.
- Butter – Use softened butter to spread it easily over every inch of bread. Salted or unsalted butter will work for this recipe.
- Garlic – Avoid powdered or pre-chopped foods. Fresh garlic cloves have the best flavor.
- Italian seasoning – The Italian seasoning combines dried basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme and marjoram. If you haven’t already mixed these spices, you can create your own Italian seasoning.
- Cheese – The pre-shredded cheese is coated with cellulose to prevent the shreds from sticking together. This results in a rubbery texture when melted. If you have time, grate the cheese yourself for best results. However, pre-shredded bagged cheese works great in a pinch. A mix of Mozzarella and Colby Jack works great, or use pure Mozzarella.
How to make Garlic and Cheese Bread
- Cut your bread in half, lengthwise. Place on a baking sheet.
- Combine softened butter, garlic and seasonings. Then spread the mixture evenly over both bread halves.
- Cover the bread with aluminum foil so that it does not burn. Place in the oven at 400°F for 15 to 20 minutes until the bread is tender and the butter is melted.
- Remove from oven, remove foil. Sprinkle grated cheese evenly over both bread halves.
- Activate the broil setting and return the baking sheet to the oven.
- Broil cheese for 2-3 minutes until completely melted, bubbling and golden.
- Remove from oven, slice and serve immediately.
- If you like spicy food, add red pepper flakes to your Italian seasoning mix.
- Serve the bread as soon as it comes out of the oven. As it cools, it will crisp up and look like a crouton. However, right out of the oven, the bread will be soft, buttery and delicious.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Recooking them will turn them into croutons that will be delicious on a chicken Caesar salad.
When it’s too hot to turn on the oven, I get what I pay for with my air fryer. You can easily make garlic bread in the air fryer. If you want to add cheese, once you’ve completed the recipe steps, top each slice with a dollop of grated cheese. Then put it back in the air fryer until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
How to serve
This cheesy garlic bread complements so many different dinners, it’s almost impossible to go wrong. However, here are some of my favorite chords:
- Pistachio Cream Pasta – This recipe is exciting and impressive but comes together in less than half an hour. Serve it with cheese and garlic bread for a complete but surprising dinner.
- Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup – Pairing these two recipes is like a fresh Italian take on classic tomato soup and grilled cheese.
- Chicken Stuffed Shells – This recipe is already loaded with cheese, spinach, and alfredo sauce. Add more cheese and a little garlic to the mix, and you have a match made in heaven.
- Caprese Pasta Salad – If you need a super simple meal, serve the Cheesy Garlic Bread with Caprese Pasta Salad. You will have an affordable, effortless and appetizing meal.
Cheese and Garlic Bread
Cheesy Garlic Bread – a cheesy and garlicky delight that can accompany just about any meal any night of the week!
Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 25 minutes
Total time 30 minutes
- 1 loaf of Italian bread
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup Colby Jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Cut the bread in half, lengthwise.
- In a small bowl, combine the softened butter with the garlic and Italian seasoning. Spread evenly over bread.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15-20 minutes until the butter is melted and the bread is tender.
- Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Return to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Turn on the grill for 2-3 minutes for golden cheese.
- Slice and serve immediately.
Amount per serving calories 455Total fat 26gSaturated fat 15gtrans fat 1gUnsaturated fats 9gCholesterol 70mgSodium 772mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 3gSugar 3gProtein 15g
I have created a fun group on Facebook, and I would like you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions and see what’s new in Dinners, Mains and Desserts (so you never miss a new recipe)! If you want to check it out, you can ask to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Do not hesitate to follow me on my social networks to not miss any publication!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | instagram
Did you know that there is a BOUTIQUE for Dinners, Main Courses and Desserts? Check out all of my eBooks and branded products HERE! Or you can buy me a coffee to say thank you!
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
Sign up to get all new recipes delivered to your inbox on Saturday mornings!
You have successfully registered!