Cayuga ducks are calm, intelligent, and friendly, making them a great addition to a backyard flock. Their striking appearance and unique egg color make them a top choice for many backyard duck owners. Cayuga ducks are also part of the Top 9 duck breeds for sale in 2022!
Cayuga Duck Breed History
The Cayuga duck is a breed of domestic duck native to the United States, specifically the Cayuga Lake area in upstate New York. They are named after the lake where they first bred, which is believed to have developed from the wild black duck.
The Personality of a Cayuga Duck
- Calm and docile: Cayuga ducks are known to be calm and docile birds and generally friendly towards people.
- Curious and Active: These ducks are known to be quite curious and like to explore their surroundings. They are also very active and like to swim and search for food.
- Intelligent: Cayuga ducks are believed to be intelligent and quick to learn. They are also good problem solvers.
- Independent: Although Cayuga Ducks enjoy human company, they are also independent birds and can entertain themselves for hours without human interaction.
- Quiet: Cayuga ducks are not particularly vocal and tend to make soft quacking sounds. This makes it a good choice for urban environments where noise can be an issue.
The appearance of a Cayuga duck
Cayugas are known for their striking appearance, featuring black plumage with an iridescent green sheen in certain lighting. They have a relatively small body size, weighing around 5 to 7 pounds on average. Its beak and legs are black or dark gray and its eyes are brown.
Interestingly, Cayugas almost all turn white after several years and their black legs turn orange as they age.
Cayuga Duck egg color and production
Cayugas are considered good layers, producing around 130 to 180 eggs per year. Their eggs have black or dark gray shells towards the start of the season, flashing to light grey, blue, green or even white by the end of the season.
Cayuga Duck Care and Health
Cayuga ducks are relatively easy to care for and make excellent pets, but like all animals, they require proper care and attention to stay healthy and happy. Here are some tips for caring for a Cayuga duck. If properly cared for, Cayugas can live for 7 to 10 years. They are also known for their hardiness and adaptability and can perform well in various climates.