Get ready for a festive and delicious snack perfect for any patriotic celebration – our Red, white and blue muddy buddies! This irresistible spin on the classic snack mix is packed with flavor and will please everyone.
Whether you’re hosting a 4th of July party, Memorial Day picnic, or any other red, white, and blue themed event, our Muddy Buddies are sure to be a hit. They’re flavored with white chocolate and cake mix for a fun, sweet and delicious treat. Muddy Buddies are super easy to make and can be ready in no time. Plus, the red and blue M&M’s make it the perfect festive treat for your holiday.
Why you will love this recipe
- Quick and easy. This recipe takes about 10 minutes to prepare. Then you just have to let it settle for a bit. But you can do it in the morning and have it ready to bring to your party in no time.
- Versatile. To mix together! I used Chex corn, but you can use any Chex, Crispix, or any favorite cereal. You coat it in white chocolate and then in cake mix, so you only need a neutral-tasting cereal.
- To mix together. In the summer they often sell red, white and blue M&M’s, perfect for this recipe. Or you can use pastel colors to do it at Easter or red and green to do it at Christmas!
What you will need
Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card for full measurements and instructions!
- Chex cereal – Any flavor you like
- White chocolate – I like to use almond bark or white chocolate fudge, just skip the chocolate chips so it’s smooth and easy to work with.
- The cake mix – I like to use white cake mix, andy brand works well
- Granulated sugar
- Coated pretzels – either coated in yogurt or white fudge pretzels
- Festive asparagus
How to Make Red, White, and Blue Mud Buddies
- To melt chocolate. Melt your white chocolate or almond bark until completely melted and smooth. I use a microwave and heat every 30 seconds.
- Mix together. Pour the chocolate over the cereal and stir until well coated.
- Throw. Transfer cereal mixture to a resealable plastic bag and add cake mix and powdered sugar. Seal and toss until well coated.
- Let him take it. Pour the cereal onto a baking sheet and spread it out in an even layer. Toss the pretzels, M&M’s and sprinkles on top and let the muddy buddies settle for about an hour.
Storage of muddy buddies
You can store these cake batter muddy buddies in an airtight container for 2-3 days. They will start to get soft and won’t have the same texture after a few days.
Recipe tips and variations
- Whatever your favorite cake mix is, it works great here! You can mix flavors and get different colors. If you want the white color, be sure to use white cake mix. But a strawberry cake mix would make them a little pink, which might work well.
- Mix the chocolate for different colors. Wilton and other brands sell fondant candy in different colors; red, green, pink, blue, yellow, etc. You can find just about any color. So you can also get your chex in different colors with the chocolate.
- Patriotic M&M’s can be difficult to find early in the season, so you can also sort reds and blues into a big bag. You should get close enough for this recipe.
More fun summer recipes
5 cups Chex cereal
12 oz vanilla almond bark or melting white chocolate
1 cup white cake mix
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup bed and blue M&M’s
1 cup coated pretzels
2 tablespoons festive sprinkles
- Melt your white chocolate or almond bark until completely melted and smooth. I use a microwave and heat every 30 seconds.
- Pour the chocolate over the cereal and stir until well coated.
- Transfer cereal mixture to a resealable plastic bag and add cake mix and powdered sugar. Seal and toss until well coated.
- Pour the cereal onto a baking sheet and spread it out in an even layer.
- Toss the pretzels, M&M’s and sprinkles on top and let the muddy buddies settle for about an hour.
Amount per serving
calories 389Total fat 12gSaturated fat 6gtrans fat 0gUnsaturated fats 5gCholesterol 6mgSodium 196mgCarbohydrates 51gFiber 2gSugar 32gProtein 5g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a guide.
I have created a fun group on Facebook, and I would like you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions and see what’s new in Dinners, Mains and Desserts (so you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Do not hesitate to follow me on my social networks to not miss any publication!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | instagram
Did you know that there is a BOUTIQUE for Dinners, Main Courses and Desserts? Lots of different E-Books for sale. Or you can buy me a coffee to say thank you!