Skillet Chicken with Spinach and Artichokes – Your favorite dip is now an easy one-pot dinner! Add your veggies with this rich, creamy dish that’s perfect on its own or over pasta.
The classic spinach and artichoke dip is always a favorite. It disappears at parties, it’s always a must order in restaurants and people can’t get enough of it. Well now you can get it in dinner form!
This spinach and artichoke chicken skillet is perfect for busy weeknights. With just a few basic ingredients, you’ll cook everything together in one pot and dinner is ready. Enjoy similar flavors at this delicious dinner with spinach and artichoke gnocchi and spinach and artichoke cheese pies.
Why this recipe works
- A short ingredient list of items you may already have in the kitchen.
- Easily eat a serving of veggies in this decadent, creamy sauce.
- Serve it alone or with carbs like bread, rice, or pasta.
- The parmesan adds an extra dimension of flavor to the sauce.
What you will need
- Chopped spinach – Frozen spinach is an easy way to add more vegetables.
- Marinated artichoke hearts – Brings natural acidity and bold artichoke flavor.
- Skinless chicken breasts – Lean skinless chicken cooks quickly and pairs perfectly with the sauce.
- Parmesan cheese – Hazelnut Parmesan adds a zesty, cheesy flavor.
- Heavy cream – Creates a rich and delicious sauce base.
- Milk – Dilutes creamy sauce but keeps it rich and flavorful.
- All purpose flour
- Vegetable oil
- Black pepper
How to Make Spinach and Artichoke Chicken
Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card for full measurements and instructions!
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add it to the hot skillet. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, turning once, until the chicken is cooked through. The juices from the chicken should run clear when you cut the center of the thickest part (at least 165°F).
- Remove chicken from skillet and cover with foil to keep warm.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for a few minutes until no white streaks remain.
- Slowly stir in milk and heavy cream. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 5-6 minutes, until it begins to thicken.
- Add thawed spinach and diced artichoke hearts. Cook 2-3 minutes until heated through. Stir in the parmesan and season with salt and pepper.
- Return the chicken to the pan to reheat in the sauce, then serve!
- Sprinkle the finished dish with crushed red pepper flakes to add spice.
- If you have fresh spinach on hand, use the same weight as listed in the recipe. Chop it lightly before using it.
- Do not skip the step of making the roux! This adds a hint of toasty flavor to the sauce and helps thicken it.
- Want a little help from the store? If you’re in a hurry, you can use store-bought Alfredo instead of the sauce. I strongly recommend the homemade version, but life does not always go with what you have planned!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last 3-4 days.
Spices that would go well with this dish include Italian seasoning, Herbes de Provence, thyme, oregano, and marjoram.
To make this gluten-free recipe, replace the flour in the sauce with soft rice flour. It is often called glutinous rice flour for its properties, but it does not contain gluten.
How to serve
- Serve the spinach and artichoke chicken over your favorite pasta or with a thick slice of crusty garlic bread.
- If you’re feeling adventurous, go ahead and serve it with homemade pasta!
- Italian Cheese Pull-Out Bread is such an easy side dish, even your kids could make it.
- Lighten up that skillet by serving it with a fresh and savory Greek pasta salad.
- Roasted asparagus is a delicious way to get another helping of vegetables with dinner.
Skillet of chicken with spinach and artichokes
Spinach and Artichoke Chicken Skillet – Turn your favorite dip into a quick and easy 5-ingredient chicken dinner!
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 25 minutes
Total time 35 minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 to 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to drain.
- 1 jar (14 oz) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, tossing to coat.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add to the hot skillet and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, turning halfway through, until the chicken is almost cooked through. Remove from heat and cover with foil to keep warm.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat and sauté the garlic for 1-2 minutes, until you can start to smell it.
- Add the flour, stir and cook for a few minutes until no white marks remain.
- Slowly stir in the heavy cream and milk and bring the mixture to a boil. Cook for 5-6 minutes until it begins to thicken.
- Add thawed spinach and diced artichoke hearts. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through.
- Stir in the parmesan and season with salt and pepper.
Amount per serving calories 558Total fat 38gSaturated fat 20gtrans fat 1gUnsaturated fats 15gCholesterol 191mgSodium 521mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 1gSugar 5gProtein 44g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a guideline.
I have created a fun group on Facebook, and I would like you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions and see what’s new in Dinners, Mains and Desserts (so you never miss a new recipe)! If you want to check it out, you can ask to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Do not hesitate to follow me on my social networks to not miss any publication!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | instagram
Did you know that there is a BOUTIQUE for Dinners, Main Courses and Desserts? Check out all of my eBooks and branded products HERE! Or you can buy me a coffee to say thank you!
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
Sign up to get all new recipes delivered to your inbox on Saturday mornings!
You have successfully registered!