S’mores cookie bars – enjoy this iconic summertime treat without the campfire! A graham cracker crust contains a chewy cookie bar bursting with chocolate chunks and gooey marshmallows. Make a batch and imagine going camping anytime of the year.
Get all the flavor of classic S’mores in a super fun and easy bar cookie recipe. These S’mores Cookie Bars are complete with a graham cracker crust, chocolate and lots of marshmallows!
Recently, I rediscovered this recipe for S’mores Cookie Bars. After trying these nostalgic and addictive treats again, I don’t know why they slipped my mind. These bars nail that classic s’more flavor starting with a graham cracker crust. Atop the crust, a base of chewy, thick chocolate chip cookies is brimming with chocolate and gooey Hershey’s marshmallows.
Enjoy these rich and chewy S’mores cookie bars as is, or go crazy and serve them a la mode with vanilla bean ice cream on top. I to like brownies and cookie bars, and brought the best of each world to my recipe for Chocolate Chip Brownie Bars, otherwise known as “brookies”. And the warm turtle brownies are also divine with a scoop of ice cream.
Why this recipe works
- Easy to make with a list of ingredients you may already have in your pantry.
- They look very delicious with bits of Hershey’s bars pressed on top halfway through cooking. Plus, more chocolate!
- No campfire or blowtorch is needed to make these S’mores bars.
- No repetitive collection of cookies is required.
- Ideal for potlucks, vacations and serving a group.
What you will need
Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card for full measurements and instructions!
For the dough:
- Graham crackers – The classic Honey Maid brand is always ideal for these, but any brand will do.
- Butter – Unsalted butter is best unless you prefer a sweet-salty flavor combo. The butter helps bind the crust together.
For the cookie layer:
- Mini marshmallows – Add deliciously gooey pockets of marshmallows.
- Chocolate chips – Semi-sweet crisps offer an ideal balance of sweetness and creaminess.
- Hershey Bars – Pieces of these are pressed on top of the bars for maximum chocolate flavor.
- Butter – Unsalted butter is best for the cookie layer because the recipe contains salt.
- Sugar – Softens this cookie bar and helps it stay moist over time.
- brown sugar – It helps with moisture retention, adds chewiness and a hint of caramel flavor.
- Eggs – Binds the ingredients together, so the cookie isn’t too crumbly.
- Vanilla – Adds its characteristic aromatic flavor. Use pure vanilla extract.
- Flour – All-purpose flour makes a sturdy yet tender cookie.
- Baking soda
How to Make S’mores Cookie Bars
- Prepare the crust by mixing the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar. Press into the bottom of your prepared 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Bake the crust at 350°F for 7 minutes. Let it cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cookie base. Cream the butter and sugars together until fluffy. Be patient, it may take 2-3 minutes for the mixture to froth. Then stir in the eggs and vanilla until the eggs are completely incorporated.
- Stir in dry ingredients until combined, then stir in chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Spread cookie dough over graham cracker crust. Bake for 15 minutes. Top the bars with the broken Hershey bar pieces, then return to the oven and bake for another 20-25 minutes.
- Remove and let cool completely before cutting.
- Do you like dark chocolate? Instead, use dark chocolate chips, along with chunks of your favorite dark chocolate bar in place of the Hershey bar.
- If you find the cookie dough difficult to spread over the graham cracker crust, lightly wet your fingertips and squeeze the dough out by hand.
- Be sure to let the bars cool to room temperature before slicing. Indeed, cutting hot chocolate and melting marshmallows will make a colossal mess!
- Want a shortcut? Use store-bought cookie dough! Simply stir the marshmallows as you squeeze them into the pan.
And if you want traditional S’mores in the middle of winter, you can make my S’mores in the oven!
Where I live they don’t sell Graham Crackers. What can I use instead?
Graham crackers can be substituted for digestive crackers or Maria crackers in a pinch. Graham crackers are sweet crackers/biscuits/biscuits that use graham flour (hence the name) originating in the United States.
How to store
- Ambient temperature – Store these bars at room temperature in an airtight container. Eat within 2-3 days. If it’s hot in your house, store them in the fridge instead.
- Refrigerate – Store the bars completely cooled in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They taste best at room temperature, so let them sit for 15 minutes before eating for best results. Refrigerate for up to a week.
- Freeze – Freeze baked, cooled, and cut S’mores cookie bars in an airtight freezer-safe container. Place strips of waxed paper between the layers to keep them from sticking together. Store for up to 3 months.
1 1/2 cups graham crackers, (1 sleeve), crushed
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 large whole eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cup mini marshmallows
1 bag (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 Hershey bars, broken into pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. . Line a 13×9 baking dish with aluminum foil. Put aside
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar. Press into bottom of prepared pan. Bake for 7 minutes until lightly browned. Let cool slightly.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy for at least 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla, beat until fully combined.
- Mix the flour, salt and baking soda until the flour disappears.
- Using a spatula, fold in the chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Spread cookie dough over graham cracker crust. Bake for 15 minutes. Top with broken pieces of Hershey bars.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 20-25 minutes until set and golden brown.
- Remove and let cool completely before cutting.
Amount per serving
calories 242Total fat 13gSaturated fat 6gtrans fat 0gUnsaturated fats 5gCholesterol 35mgSodium 235mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 1gSugar 18gProtein 2g
I have created a fun group on Facebook, and I would like you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions and see what’s new in Dinners, Mains and Desserts (so you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Do not hesitate to follow me on my social networks to not miss any publication!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | instagram
Did you know that there is a BOUTIQUE for Dinners, Main Courses and Desserts? Lots of different E-Books for sale. Or you can buy me a coffee to say thank you!