Thursday, February 23, 2023
My parents live near a Barons Market and they sell fantastic soups. Walk anywhere within a quarter mile of any Baron’s and people on the street will stop to tell you how good the Barons’ soups are, especially the clam chowder. (I’m only exaggerating one little little here.) One of our favorites is the White Chicken Chili, and since we don’t have immediate access to a Barons or unlimited funds, I decided I had to figure out how to make it. I researched their soup as well as several recipes and decided on a Taste of Home winner, with a few modifications.
I love this recipe. It’s easy to mix (virtually no chopping or dishes!) and it’s delicious with toppings like sour cream, cilantro, lime and avocado. You could probably even throw some tortilla strips in there and be happy! (sorrynotsorry) Bonus, the soup is creamy and still gluten free. The bean mash gives it a cozy chowder-like texture and the chicken cooks nice and tender.
It’s one of our family’s favorite dinners now. Apologies for the poor photography…my ‘real’ camera battery was dead and I had to take a picture of the last available bowl in daylight before anyone ate it. The only reason, in fact, that I haven’t posted the recipe until now is because I could never take a picture in daylight, because it’s always eaten!
Chilli chicken breast
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed (last time I used up to 2 pounds and the soup was great)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced (or pressed in a garlic press)
- 32 ounces of chicken broth
- 1 can 4 oz chopped green chiles (mild, medium or hot depending on your preference)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (add up to 1-1/2 tsp if you want it spicier)
- 3 cans (14 ounces) Great Northern white beans, drained
- ¾ cup chopped fresh cilantro (the measurement doesn’t need to be exact, just a nice big handful) + extra for garnish
- 1 lime
- Optional toppings: Grated cheese, sour cream, fresh lime, fresh cilantro, avocado, thinly sliced radish
- In a large saucepan, cook the chicken and onion over medium heat until lightly browned.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in chicken broth, chiles, cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper; bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low.
- Mash 1 can white beans with a potato masher or pastry blender until fairly smooth. Add the mash and whole beans to the pot. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve as is or with the optional toppings listed above!
Posted by Jane Maynard at 1:18 PM No Comments
Categories: all recipes, fab faves, featured recipes, Gluten Free Recipes, main courses, Recipes Tags: chicken, chili, soup, white chili with chicken |